View Single Post
Old 08-12-20, 11:29 PM   #6
StealthRabbit
Silent Captain

Downloads: 288
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred8615 View Post
I didn't have the mod start more than a week before Pearl Harbor because I thought it would be too much time just sailing around doing nothing.

Changing the start date isn't too hard, but the missions would all need to be edited too for you to have anything to do.

I am finding more and more reasons to try and start making my own Mods, or at least slightly change (Modify a Mod?) a few Mods done by other Moders. If I did alter a Mod someone already made I know to ask their permission be for posting said Mod, If I where to post it. Those are 2 pretty big IFs though.

Your idea of starting before 12/07/1941 in my opinion is a great one. I guess I am one of those guys that like to make the simulation as real as possible, and also to try and immerse myself into the simulation as much as I can. I just really like the idea of starting early enough to get at least most of a patrol in, and all the while have the tension level build as I am sure it did for allot of the real sub and surface ship captains. I do realize that I am most likely part of a vanishingly small minority with wanting to start a campaign/carer that early though.

Pushing the start date to mid October and then adding several missions sounds like it would be for a Moder with mid level skill, and maybe not something to start out with to get my feet wet. I am in the middle of altering a Mod by TorpX called Auto_Targ that simulates human errors in plotting a firing solution. After I installed his Mod and did a few war patrols with it I found that his errors where a little too much for me so I am cutting them in about half so my aim is a bit better, but still not perfect every time. And as time goes on I am going to try and have our aim get better. I figure that even if half of the crew gets replaced by promotions and what have you our aim would still get better just because of institutional knowledge.

Using the Silent 3ditor to do this has so far been very tedious. I have found it difficult to keep track of exactly what part of the torpedo's parameters I am changing so I am going very slowly and constantly comparing my changes to both the TMO numbers and the Auto_Targ numbers. In case you don't know the name of the file I am altering is Data\Library\Torpedoes_US.sim.

I'll get there eventually.
-StealthRabbit