View Single Post
Old 10-23-08, 12:04 PM   #29
Hylander_1314
Sea Lord

Downloads: 139
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece
Stop trying to make Vista 64 sound good! XP 32 bit forever .... Yay!!
There's nothing wrong with 32 bit versions of XP. But when I built this rig, I couldn't find a 64bit version of it anywhaere in town, and didn't want to wait for mail order. So I, with hesitation, opted for the 64 bit version of Vista. There were some stability issues at first as I learned how it worked, but later found it to be linked to software issues between M$ and Nvidia. The latest drivers from Nvidia and SP1 from Microsoft have seem ed to tame the issues that I was having at first, and thought to be a compatability problem with the games themselves.

So I wanted to move up in the OS, and that was pretty much the option. And for the future it will only be a benefit since games like SH4, SH3, O.F.F., and the Battle of Britain are going to have or already have more going on in the game than they did even 2 years ago, which means more load on the computer and the components, and 64 bit versions of any os help to improve things since it opens up the rig for higher memory support, which you can then run more video memory, and mainboard memory coupled with highpowered cpu's, and gpu's gives you the horsepower to run at full tilt boogie, with adverse affects. Plus the games that come out in the future are going to require more and more to run with more intense graphics, and action taking place.

I really wanted XP Pro x64 when I put this thing together, but since M$ said they were dropping support for it, which seemed a little too soon to me, I had to make the choice. And it seemed silly to get a 32 bit version of windows, when the cpu I have is the Intel Core2 Extreme QX9650 Yorkfield Quadcore 3.00Ghz, which is designed to support 64 bit versions, and not take advantage of it.

It reminded me of when M$ dropped support for Win98. I thought that it was the best version of windows ever, and in some ways I still do, as it let you get down to core of the software for tweaking as long as you knew how to read and type. There were all kinds of cool little settings you could modify in the core files, and really optimise it. When I updated to XP, it became a little tougher to do as it was a different format and more complicated to do the same tweaking, and Vista has gone a step further. I guess M$ doesn't like folks dabbling in what they think is best for the consumer.

Tough part is, learning the ins and outs of something new after you've gotten comfortable with something that works perfectly fine.

---------------------

Hylander_1314 is offline   Reply With Quote