View Single Post
Old 07-26-09, 10:24 AM   #3
berobispo
Helmsman

Downloads: 174
Uploads: 4

@Aaron: I've tried your solution. I think it's the best, my attempt using different LOBs with different origins is similar to Dr. Sids. Of course, I didn't notice this before. The problem with this approach is: You can get different fitting courses for the contact, at least with human err, I have tried this in my previous post.
So you MAY have the TRUE course, maybe not, speed and range are then guessed and may, of course, be as faulty.

Your approach Aaron, on the other hand, needs a guesstimate of speed (when I don't know the enemy range), which then affects the course (because contact TRUE heading and speed are the result of vector addition).

I'm by far no expert in mathematics but I think these are limitations of TMA while moving. When stationary, the course obtained is TRUE (relatively), speed and range must be guessed.

I have never used stationary TMA combined with station change and triangulation by predictive LOBs from the first station, but will after I needed five hours (gametime) to track down a merchant yesterday.

some pictures to illustrate:

Course of by 30°, still an acceptable TMA

wonderful TMA. still 13° off

IMO the problem is where you place your nodes which form the TMA tool.

Last edited by XLjedi; 07-29-09 at 10:23 PM. Reason: Changed file host to preserve images for future reference