View Single Post
Old 05-02-09, 11:15 PM   #35
Peto
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 4
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
Nice step up in CPU, well worth the money.

Going to stay with stock cooling? Not that it won't do the trick, just curious.
I was talking to someone about CPU cooling today and we had some good debate. He was big on MMHPC (Major Mongo Humongous Power Coolers) where my stance is that stock does the job better today than it used to. If you look back at the history of CPU's you'll see that older ones typically ran hotter than todays multi-cores (ever touch a 486?!?!). "So", (I asked), "Why put money into a MMHPC?"

Video is another story though! Those babies run HOT! In either case--you will typically hear a cpu/gpu fan going out before it actually folds.

And then there was this guy who had a friend that......put a 3rd party cooler on a cpu. The cpu went out and the corporation who built it refused to warranty the failed part. Because it was dependant on cooling by a part they hadn't qualified... (I haven't heard of that being an issue lately though).

None-the-less, I've had good luck with stock cooling. Some 3rd party rigs do it better without doubt--but how cool does it really have to be. My stock cooler keeps my AMD below 40C typically.

My 2 cents (maybe worth less).