View Single Post
Old 05-24-10, 02:45 PM   #62
morttheslayer
Soundman

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Hi KC hope things are getting better - now for your GPU!

Hi Darren
You're getting lots of good advice and I would just add a couple of things. If you are new to upgrading; don't worry we all started being new once!!

So you don't waste your money I see the size of the GPU is given in the specs; so measure the existing length of your GForce FX5200 GPU and make sure the replacement will actually fit in the slot and clear any other components before you get it. Sometimes you can live with a bit of "overhang" (i.e. card has to extend out of the rear of the case slightly. But if it means the card is obstructed within the case by other components on the motherboard that cannot be moved/relocated you're immediately checkmated.

Also check the power required (I see the constraint in the spec you posted said 300Watt Min) so check your power supply (label on the unit somewhere or get model number etc and Google it). Some later cards require another auxilliary power cable plug-in to get enough juice!!
Most power supplys should be 300 watts (plus) but with your luck lately it might be a 25Watt unit -- only joking mate!!

Anyway All the best - Morty
morttheslayer is offline   Reply With Quote