View Single Post
Old 11-05-23, 10:31 AM   #8
EAST
Sparky

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default What are the design inspirations

A buddy emailed and asked what the inspirations were for D6:IronWolves.

The major inspiration was Iron Wolves of course. But there were a number of other games that are part of the mix:

Enigma: Rising Tide - this always felt like we never got to finish what we started with this game. From here we take Realistic ocean and physics, Playable weapon emplacements and fire control...

Silent Hunter - Sim aspects: selectable navigation, realistic targetting and fire control, realistic navigation

Mech Warrior - Crews. The way these crews were done kept things non-fiddly but still had an impact on your performance. The other thing that comes from this, Enigma and the next one are the ability to assign tasks, missions, etc. to other (AI crewed) ships that you would take on a mission. Crew have rank and ratings as well as skill and attitude or personality scales as well. The other thing I really liked from this game was the rearm, repair elements.

Tribes 2 - Command map. The idea of rising in rank in your faction to where you can begin to conduct the mission or the war. The ability to start a base, takeover a base, or just destroy it.

There's also a little bit of Call of Duty in there.

At it's core it's a surface, submarine combat game, but learning from Enigma and Tribes 2 - there are players who gravitate to tactics, logistics, defense/offense, etc.

the MVP will be Iron Wolves style play. The rest will come on as I learn the mechanics of implementing them.

The one lingering question I have is: Am I missing the plot? Is this type of game no longer appealing? Thoughts?