Thread: [REL] FOTRS Ultimate Project
View Single Post
Old 06-15-16, 06:59 PM   #198
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Thought I'd share some images of what I've been doing toward an Optical Correction for FOTRS Ultimate. I'll start by comparing the two different Attack Periscope stations. First FOTRS:

Then the Optical Correction version:

This is the low zoom (1.5x) setting, with a target ship positioned at 1000 yards from the sub. As I like to do, I've made the actual lens size larger to simulate the idea that your eye is VERY close to the lens. This doesn't make the ship larger to scale, the correction of the Field of View does that. The FoV is now correct, reading 16 degrees from center to outer edge....meaning the scopes FoV will accurately read 32 degrees wide with objects set at 1000 yards distance. The FOTRS scope reads about 34 degrees wide (notice more of the second ship showing in its image), it's not authentic to what the American Periscopes FoV should read.

You'll notice I put a center Rosette in the Compass Dial to help figure a new coarse bearing when changing direction. Some other minor refinements to the Dials as well (like centering the Compass Dial to the gauge housing). Since I'm familiar to these dials (I put them together from my old friend Jimimadrid's for an early RFB version), I shouldn't think anyone from FOTRS will mind.

Here's a high zoom, 6x magnification from FOTRS:

Optical Correction's:

At this magnification, the authentic FoV should cover 8 degrees from left to right. Mine does, so using the Telemeter Divisions for figuring height/width will be accurate now.

Once the scopes are corrected, the remainder of the optical views can now be adjusted as well. The following Bridge View of the FOTRS mod is shown:

This is the Optical Correction's Bridge View:

Pretty much the same, except the OC's view has the target ship a bit smaller than the FOTRS view. These outside views are important to give a "Naked Eye" look to the world around. Because an object seen with the naked eye should be 2.5 times smaller than an object viewed at a 1.5x magnification.....this is what you get with an outdoor view.

Using FOTRS Binocular View:

Here's an authentic 7x magnification for the Binoculars from Optical Correction:

I don't know what the stock game was thinking when they threw together the Binocular settings. Sure isn't 7x magnification! You'll also notice I put back the red rectile in the center of the view. How does one expect to mark a survivor, or any other object if its removed?

This is a Antiaircraft Gun View of FOTRS:

Here's Optical Corrections:

I couldn't help to notice the 3D model of the 20MM has the camera set WAY too close in its .dat file. I corrected it, as well as keeping the view at the correct scale compared to other views.

I think I'll stop for now. Later I'll show you what other corrections I've done to FOTRS regarding optical views.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote