Old 02-24-11, 02:06 PM   #11
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_tyrant View Post
My advice (I just built a new system):

Big hard drives are a great idea. I bought a 3tb drive for 199$, while a 1 tb drive is like 150$. The cost per gb goes down as the size of drive goes up.
But a 500 GB drive for 50 bucks still is even cheaper. And I do not need even that much. I simply do not need it, I do not buy new games in truckload amounts anymore.

Quote:
4 cores are a good idea. Its barely more expensive than a duel core processor. and the performance increase is quite noticeable.
How is that? None of the games I plan to use is new and supports multiple cores. As I said, I have almost no interest in new stuff. So I think I am better off with investing into two cores with for example 3.3 GHz than into 4 cores with 2.8 GHz. Since my sims use one CPU only anyway, that leaves the game running with 3.3 instead of 2.8 GHz, and background processes on the other CPU. Core 3 and 4 would be of no use for me, or not!?

Quote:
Also, build for the future. Get a good stable rig that can be upgraded.
Yes, absolutely. I would welcome USB 3 connectors, for example, for faster USB stick handling. Additional space for RAM, if I ever would need it (which I still doubt). But beyond that - I wonder what kind of "upgrade" in hardware I could need. Again, I do not buy software anymore like I used to buy in the past. Estimating that W7 will be supported for another 8-10 years, I think that is the amount of time the new if should hold out.

And in ten years it is possible that my interest in computer games has become so specialized and small (chess, cosims), that maybe I would prefer something in the style of a notebook then. If that still is available then.

FS9 can use more hardware than I currently have. But all other sims I mentioned already probably are served with hardware overkill capacities by my new system.