View Single Post
Old 02-02-08, 11:10 PM   #1
MarkShot
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 93
Uploads: 0
Default Aaron I am back with a question!

Aaron,

I was one of your original not very productive testers.

I am trying to figure out the best way to use MOBO to solve a problem. Let me give you the history.

This begins with me playing SHCE (Silent Hunter Commanders Edition). Often you get radar contacts and you have to figure out to intercept those contacts.

Prior to tonight, I would basically use the "bow on" approach. Of course, that has many short comings.

So, I read up on a paper plotting technique. The technique use a series of concentric scale circles which provide distance and bearing from your own ship. It assumes that you turn your sub North and lay to. You then gather two data points containing the triplets (time/range/bearing). From there, you can use the chart to solve the contacts speed, course, and where to intercept.

So, I am thinking that I can use MOBO which I had once volunteered to test. This is the procedure which I worked out and I suspect that it is probably very clumsy. So, I want to ask is there a better way:

(1) Collect the same data.

(2) Set the scale.

(3) Place ownship at the center of the map. Enter the best speed which my sub can make the intercept.

(4) C, SPACE, B, D, T - Create a contact unit connected to ownship with the line showing bearing, distance, and time for my first observation.

(5) C, SPACE, B, D, T - Create a node unit connected to ownship with the line showing bearing, distance, and time for my second observation.

(6) Use the mouse to adjust these two units to correspond with my collected data.

(7) Lock the units and remove the lines.

(8) Create a line between the node and contact and press Y for TSD.

(9) Delete the node and apply V (vector) to the contact with the solved course and speed.

(10) Select the contact and press the space bar to connect to my sub and press I to display the intercept point.

(11) Create a new node over the intercept point and add a line to my sub while pressing Y for TSD.

(12) The line just drawn will give me the course and time to the intercept point.

Well, is this the right way to use MOBO? Thanks for your time.