View Single Post
Old 06-30-21, 11:37 PM   #6
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 436
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseySeven View Post
I figured that, but with no end date for the mission, and no ships in sight after an additional 3 weeks of traveling about the area, including heading towards Truk, I felt lost. Made me wonder if my surface search radar was working.
This game seems to be feast or famine with regard to shipping! Four patrols, nine ships sunk, but patrol 2 and patrol 4 left me empty handed!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mardigan View Post
Yeah, with those sort of orders... it's basically sink ships/shipping until you get the bell rung on completing those type of objectives...

& I agree with you on that, though to be frank... on a couple of patrol logs I managed to find, plus 1 book I seem to recall reading some time back, that's about how it was... feast or famine, when it came to sinking targets... & it wasn't just relegated to 1 side or the other sub service wise, either.

It was that way for the U.S./Brit sub fleet, as well as for the Uboat arm for Germany... though they did have that sweet time for a bit to which even Churchill got left with sleepless nights because of the success the Uboats had there for that time frame.

All you can do, is just bore holes until you run into shipping, sink it & hope that its enough to ring that completion bell.. if not then is back on to trolling about until you find some more ship/s or a couple to sink.

Any way, hope that this info has been helpful...

Fair winds, smooth seas &... Good huntin'.

M. M.

i will add to what MM says above by confirming that there are times when the Random Generating Engine seems to go to sleep.

you see, the game has a shipping simulator, what i refer to as the Random Generating Engine, which takes predefined groups of ships (convoys, task forces, small groups, single ships) and applies some rules and then generates the shipping traffic. these groups, referred to as RGG's are defined and stored in the Campaigns folder. the files contain the ships, their definitions and a bunch of rules as to when/where/how to generate shipping traffic.

there are times when that engine seems to not run properly and result is a dearth of shipping for us-Kaleuns to sink.

yes, it gets frustrating.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote