View Single Post
Old 03-09-06, 06:51 PM   #27
SeaQueen
Naval Royalty

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellman
Holding up the white flag at this end - the broadside of book tips threatens to sink me.
Baulked at 100 dollars for Stefanick - maybe I can get an out-of-town sub. to your library.
Heh, keep an eye out for it in used bookstores or online. I'm sure you'll be able to find a copy at a reasonable price eventually. The world won't end if you don't read it. I just toss these things out there because everyone seems to want to know how real warship captains and other military planners think. Believe it or not, most of that sort of stuff is unclassified and available to the public. The highly specific technical details are usually where one can get in trouble.

Stefanick has been out of print for a while now. The other two are also hard to find, but the Military Operations Research Society (MORS) keeps Koopman in print, and Wagner is a text book at the Naval Academy. That's on Amazon.com both are not friendly reading if you don't have a pretty good background in mathematics. It won't necessarily be what the captain of a warship is thinking, but the results of books like that are the starting point for experimentation and the development of actual tactics. They won't tell you what anyone actually does, but they will allow you to make some educated guesses sometimes.

Quote:
The sub Captain is the last of the breed of potential bucaneers, psychologicaly inclined to resist
the increasing shackles of group co-ordination. As a diver I prefer the free-ranging lone-wolf role.
That's actually not very true. Submarines, like any other warship, these days, act in coordination with other assets. They are a lot less independent than they're frequently romanticized as. HOW they coordinate them with other assets has some unique challenges, but over all, submarines are as much a part of the team as much as FFGs, DDGs, CGs, CVNs, LHDs, etc...
SeaQueen is offline   Reply With Quote