View Single Post
Old 04-04-20, 08:02 AM   #673
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397
Uploads: 0
Default Swarms of Planes

Props, when you run out of things to do (DON'T SHOOT!) I found a couple of areas where the planes spawn with ferocity.

12-05-1942 (16:57). NW end of Guadalcanal in GAR or SALMON- US planes are spawning (presumably from Henderson Field) and then crashing into the mountains before reaching the NW end of the island. I counted at least 30 crash sites, P-40's, SBD's and one that looked suspiciously like a P-47. Had not witnessed this before. The effect is to slow TC to 8 each time one crashes. All I was trying to do was get through the day so I could intercept the IJN replenishment columns.

Next was on 01/23/44 (2200) just off Truk, in Balao. I was about 5 miles outside the reef WSW of the last group of islands in the atoll. The Planes were spawning in droves just east of the islands and heading towards the center port. They just kept coming, so I headed SW to try to get out of the area. The farther out I went, the farther towards me came the spawn site! I finally had to dive and wait until the next day until I was far enough away to avoid the "action". However, planes were now coming from Truk directly SW towards me. I let one get close enough to identify before crash diving. I had assumed they were US planes on a carrier raid on Truk. No, the ones heading my way were all Japanese.

So, in your copious free time you may wish to consider looking into these.

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote