View Single Post
Old 07-20-17, 01:07 PM   #318
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendras View Post
It's quite simple : it's not logical to have fresh algae on the ladders.
Not logical you say?

These pictures must have been photoshopped then

Quote:
There may rather be some rusty metal.
There is. I have applied semi-transparent overlays to that texture and arranged ladder's UV projections so that top rungs are incrementally more rusty and lesser weedy than lower ones. There was a lot of work involved

The effect is partly lost now due to the heavy hue/saturation adjustment layer I applied after your complaints, but it is clearly visible in the original version of the texture.

Quote:
And on all pictures I saw of La Plate, there is only brownish mud on the base.
What you call "mud" is actually algae, and I don't object on its brownish tone, but like it or not, there is a also a green component to it which makes it more "greenish-brownish" than simply "brownish"

There's even a picture where the base looks almost emerald green (look closely under the water line), but that's mostly due to the interaction of the blue sea colour with the greenish colour of the seaweeds:

Quote:
Last point : the green mud is very visible and pixelised on the ladders, and looking very ugly, looking more like radioactive mud.
I agree on that. That's due to the blurred borders of the adjustment layer I applied following your suggestion: due to it, the most external pixels are hardly affected by the layer and they contrast with the rest. If we agree on the other points, I will see what I can do with it

Quote:
Yeah, not easy. First, are normal maps working in SH3 ?
I think so. If memory serves me well, crew models and a few more models use normal maps to create extra "detail"

Quote:
Specular maps are more important IMO, because you can choose 2 parameters : the shininess and its saturation.
Usually specular maps are stored in the alpha channel so no saturation: only shininess.

Quote:
But is it working in SH3 ?
It should. There is a controller for it. Anyway, soon we will know more about it, when I will send you my next update

Quote:
Why can you choose also the specular strenght of a diffuse map ?
Specular strength, similar to Glossiness, is not a diffuse map parameter but a material parameter. I think Specular strength has no effect if no specular map is enabled for any given materia. Not sure about Glossiness, but probably it doesn't require a specular map. I will let you to play with those parameters once I enable that map. Tweaking them before I send you the next alpha version would be a waste of time, as the specular map can change drastically the look of the materials we have set so far.

Quote:
About glow maps, is this the type used by the buildings' and ships' windows with light at night ?
Yep, sure. It is enabled through the CityLights controller IIRC. It might come in handy for illuminating the windows of some lighthouses pertaining to neutral countries.
gap is offline   Reply With Quote