View Single Post
Old 11-06-11, 12:50 PM   #2635
LGN1
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.sie View Post
@LGN1: Great. Linear dependency means easy programming. But when calculating wave height from windspeed, we should use a different factor than your table uses, since in-game 15m/s is storm, while in reality 15m/s is moderate.
Hi h.sie,

as I've already written I'm reluctant to interpret the in-game wind speed differently because I think that storms are not as common as 15m/s wind speed in SH3 is. I think stronger winds are just missing in SH3 and you cannot fix this by interpreting 15m/s as a real storm. Such a procedure screws up the whole weather model.

In addition, with a factor of 0.3 we already have a minimum torpedo depth of 4.5m at 15 m/s. Take into account the 2m width and you end up with 6.5m. There are already quite a few ships in SH3 that you cannot attack anymore with the contact pistol setting at this depth. Maybe it's possible to increase the factor a bit, but if you increase it too much, players will hardly be able to attack any ships at 15m/s. And I think this is not realistic.

In my opinion, 15m/s wind should make things more complicated, but shouldn't be a show-stopper.

Regards, LGN1
LGN1 is offline   Reply With Quote