View Single Post
Old 05-26-11, 10:17 AM   #19
redtyphoon
Sailor man

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

I think what you're describing is pretty close to my Grand Design for OpenSSN. It is my intention to allow the player to spend most of their time on the tactical/map screen and have most of the little details automated.

For example, the sonar crew will automatically detect and plot ships and torpedoes on the tactical map. The player _can_ go to the sonar console and watch the waterfall display if he/she chooses, but targets are plotted automatically. The same will apply to firing torpedoes, radar and esm functions. The player will be able to control these things from the map screen using short-cut keys and "let the crew handle it". Or, for those who like to get involved, the player can click over to the appropriate console and click a button to do it manually.

It is my plan to allow the player to focus on tactics and give helm/weapon orders. But also give the player the ability to get into more detail if they want.

At the moment it's too early for me to think about a campaign mode. I want to get the basics done and pre-planned missions first. However, I'm open to the campaign mode concept once the foundation is laid.
redtyphoon is offline   Reply With Quote