View Single Post
Old 01-16-13, 10:48 PM   #5
Takeda Shingen
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red October1984 View Post
What are you guys' perfect survival scenario?

If the zombies come, nuclear war, whatever, etc...I want to be in a Nuclear Submarine. I would only have to dock for food. I have water and I have power. I have safety.

I am, however, allergic to seafood....that could be problematic.

Another one would be to build tunnels like the Japanese through the hill that I live on and find a way to keep the zombies/mutants/radiation/plague outside and me safely inside. This plan has more flaws but it is more realistic. I don't think they will just invite people aboard submarines when the world ends. Diesel boats require gas....Nuclear boats provide all the power they need with the only downside being that somebody in your survivor party needs to be experienced with nuclear reactors.
Food isn't likely going to be your problem, rather parts. While the reactor will theoretically give you around 50 years of power, other parts of the boat are going to break or wear out; they do all the time under normal conditions. In the event of apocalyptic proportions, when society has completely broken down, people aren't going to be making those parts anymore. This will be compounded by the fact that the boat will be at sea continuously, and will not be getting the type of maintainence from base personnel between patrols. Furthermore, military installations will be among the first places picked over by survivors. Bases hold all kinds of goodies -- weapons, ammunition, supplies and mechanical parts. Unfortunately, this means that they will likely be picked clean by the time you need them.
Takeda Shingen is offline   Reply With Quote