View Single Post
Old 05-24-20, 07:05 AM   #12
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-Groves View Post
The Siren is a hidden Gun in a spot light firing a faux shell.
So gap is correct.

Quote:
I created the whole shebang for GWX!

Perhaps others took it for other mods.
I think TWoS features air raid sirens as well, but I don't know whether Vecko took them from GWX or created them from scratch. I lean towards the second hypothesis though, because SH5 has an AI bug which makes land units unable to use their guns, so he probably set his siren as an invisible ship or he followed a totally different method.

I should investigate more

Quote:
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery after all!
Just lol

Quote:
The sound file is from a recording from WWII also.
So that is authentic!
So cool. On youtube there are sound clips of the Britsh and of the German air siren as well. Do you remember which one did you use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifi View Post
You may be right then, but sound kind of weird process!
It might sound weird, but off my head the one I described is the easiest and most effective method for making a sound to only be triggered when, and only when, there are enemies in range. I am not saying that it couldn't be done differently, but right now I can't think of any other way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifi View Post
Have to check next time, but it seems to me the fanfare song is starting over from beginning each time we close...meaning it’s not playing non stop. But I’m not 100% sure.
Yes sure, in order to save computer resources, any sound is unloaded from memory once the player is outside its audible range. That's pretty the same logic used for the rendering of units: they become dimensionless points once they get outside SHIII rendering world, thus losing any damage/ammo storage information. It wouldn't make sense for the game to keep them in memory as 3D objects. Nonetheless, whenever you get again within their rendering range, they are there again with all their properties reset. Just like the fanfare sound starting over from its beginning or some particle effects resetting when they are out of frustum. The factor which triggers them on and off is range from the player. The air raid siren is more complex though, because it must only play when the player is in its audible range AND there is a enemy in its vicinity. Jeff's method takes care of this AND

Quote:
The Siren is a hidden Gun in a spot light firing a faux shell.
So gap is correct.
I created the whole shebang for GWX!

Perhaps others took it for other mods.
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery after all!

gap is offline   Reply With Quote