View Single Post
Old 12-15-20, 07:57 PM   #8
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360
Uploads: 0

^ Blair, this is a great analysis of the Soviet sea arm, with regards to the submarine forces. To be honest, before Catfish had posted this link, I had never heard of this equipment or techniques. I would expect your understanding and information is better than my own so I will just take it on faith that you are right.

With regards to Rickover, it's hard to argue with success and former U.S president Jimmy Carter held Rickover in high regards since he served under him in the Navy. Navy Scientist John Craven, himself a brilliant man, also held Rickover in high regard but also knew him as a difficult man to work with.

With regards to tracking Ballistic missile Submarines, Commander " Whitey " Mack, on board the U.S.S Lapon ( SSN-661 ) Successfully trailed the newest Soviet Ballistic missile submarine, A Yankee Class for 47 days and gained and refined a signature profile that would go out to other U.S attack sub within weeks. Lapon did this without Counter detection. Whitey not only recorded it's signature but gained valuable Intel when the Yankee reached it's " Patrol Box ." This area was much further offshore than expected, leading U.S officials to believe the Soviet Ballistic missiles carried had a much greater range than first believed. This has always been very much a cat and mouse game.

Mack became famous in the submarine community for this noteworthy success, personally receiving the Distinguished Service Medal for his actions.

As far as thinking outside the box, The Soviet MiG 25 Foxbat Interceptor is proof enough of that statement as well.

I knew you would be around to clarify details Blair. So, thanks for your valuable input.

Last edited by Commander Wallace; 12-16-20 at 01:26 AM.
Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote