View Single Post
Old 10-01-20, 11:27 AM   #26
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopTorp '92 View Post
Huh? How do you know that? Is it true or the case that "Something which cannot be proven false doesn’t provide any proof that it is true"?
When I said that I was primarily thinking about the petty arguments between people or groups of people. The kind of which you see all over the internet these days where tribes argue for their version of the truth. All too often one tribe will say "show me where I'm wrong" or just print what ever comes to mind to fulfill an agenda knowing full well the other cant find proof of it being a wrong. But just because it cant be refuted or shown to be false doesn't make what the other said or printed true.

The earlier example of Aristotles, Plato's and Ptolemy's theories of a geocentrism falls into that too. For several hundred years it was widely accepted that our planet Earth was the point at which the universe revolved. Just because others couldn't prove or didn't want to prove geocentrism false didn't make the then tested and widely accepted theory of geocentrism true.

Quote:
Is it true you cannot know the truth? Or, are you lying?
I think it's fair to say we can know the truth. We just may not have the means to know all truth. As I said truth exists even without the human act of knowing of its existence. There are many truths in this universe we have yet to be made aware of.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.

Last edited by Rockstar; 10-01-20 at 11:43 AM.
Rockstar is online   Reply With Quote