View Single Post
Old 06-26-20, 04:19 AM   #2
p7p8
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 136
Uploads: 6

Quote:
One problem I seem to have is that no matter what I do the enemy ships start pinging me as soon as the mission starts
Check "EMCON" on second page for enemy AI ship and game will be more challenging.

Quote:
I usually just go deep and try to remain as silent as possible.
At first, you should forget about Silent Hunter style of playing. In WWII ASW was very primitive and what was good tactic then, currently is biggest mistake.
Best "feature" of Seawolf is tactical speed, so pretending whole in the water is just wasting own advantages. You should use layer instead.

In DW best depth for hiding from surface ships underkeel sonar is 30m (100ft) below layer. If you are too deep, your sub can be easily detected.
FPSchazly made video about "shadow zone" - its good explanation how it works.

Of course ASW specialized ships can use Helo or own towed array/dipping sonar and check situation under layer so "shadow zone doesn't gives you 100% of hiding

Quote:
How can I identify a ship with the scope?
RMB on contact on map and "classify contact"
But you should avoid using periscope. For most ASW ships, your periscope max visual identification range means you can be detected via passive TA sonar. Also its very risky when ASW helo is in the air.

Your main identification "tool" is towed array in narrowband mode - not periscope.

Don't play DW like SH