View Single Post
Old 10-02-20, 02:43 AM   #56
Cajun Kaleun
Seaman

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0

Decided to give this a go after doing in SH3 in mid-43. Just playing vanilla at the moment to get the ropes as the aiming is really confusing to me and I'm not sure why.

Decided to start in 41 with the Asiatic Fleet in an S-18 boat. Basically putters around in the South China Sea for a bit until the radio traffic came in about the invasion of Borneo. We decided it was time to get into the war and steamed west along the the northern coast of Bormeo. We got bounced by a pair of Akatsuki destroyers we dived and fired off 2 fish. Hit one of the destroyers aft and that seemed to take the right out of them we slunk eastwards surfaced and recharged the batteries and tried going east again.

We reached the western end of Borneo without seeing much of anything so we started heading a little north when radio traffic came in that a massive task force was headed south just due east of us. It was the main invasion force so we followed their track south and got into firing position. First time really trying the Dick o'Kane method in the wild. Honestly it was a mild disaster fired 4 fish and my solution was way off but I did sink a Japanese destroyer who panicked and ran right into one amodships killing her. Dived deep and headed east once the remaining destroyers left surfaced the boat and reloaded the tube to go south and try again. Honestly this is where my U-Boat time bite me in the ass I came behind the task force again but the angle was really oblique and it was a disaster. Headed back to Manila to rearm.

By the time we got back to Borneo she had already fallen. Decided to head to the the Sulu Sea but it was fairly empty so headed off the coast of Indochina to ambush merchants heading into the Java Sea. Found a decent sized merchant and deck gunned him. Then found some Sampans and did the same. Was transiting south when we got radio traffic of a decent sized task force headed north so we sprinted into a firing position.

This made the whole war patrol here. The twin Fuso battleships were transiting north. I decided to give the Dick o'Kane method a last good college try. Setup the spot on the nearest battleship and launched all 4 fish. Every. Single. Damn. One. Hit! It was beautiful it was so spaced out the bottom of the hull was Swiss cheese. Right are I launched I dived deep and headed right across the convoy it priced unnecessary but it made for a clean escape. While rearming we got the message to divert to Java as our new base of operations. While I wanted to hunt down the other battleship I decided with fuel low it was best to head to Java. Sunk another merchant in the Makassar Strait in route to Java.

Overall an excellent patrol. Started off rocky but dammed of it wasn't fun in the USS S-28. Not sure why targeting confuses the hell out of me and need to break the habit of firing on really oblique angles like ImI'm in a U-Boat. Really enjoy the campaign structure as well.
Cajun Kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote