View Single Post
Old 12-20-20, 02:04 PM   #68
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
The problem of the torpedo not launching properly was there also though - or at least, for a period of time. Part of the problem was plane speed, as well as plane height when launching, which may have been "fixed" in v1.5. I do not recall where it was, but someone mentions working on fixing the backwards torpedo launch, and it may well have been a TDW thread instead of Rubini...
I have made a quick search on this topic on subsim forums, and all the mentions I have found are about SHIV and SH5. I myself experienced the issue while importing in game a beautiful B-25 model by JU_88.

I am not 100% sure about that, but I think the fix resides in eqp node naming or in its positioning relative to the 3D model of the plane

Quote:
There is a write-up on that - in the AirStrike.cfg itself??
Those comments are not entirely clear to me, for one thing they don't say how the 'attenuation factor' is applied, and the part relative to 'coverage factor' calculation is a bit nebulous. I would have preferred a set of formulas, but at least those notes shed some light on the general meaning of the main settings. Most of them are multipliers, so if we double one we should half the Default Air Strike Probability (or viceversa), if we want to keep about the same air raid probability.

Quote:
I am not certain of "availability". It seems that an AirBase seemingly generates more airplanes than it should, sometimes apparently generating its new response off of the airplanes that should still be enroute back to base, but are outside the player's "spawn range".
I am sure I took this "availability" concept from one of your previous replies, but I probably misunderstood you. Thank tou for clarifying that!

Quote:
Yes, we "tweak" those every so often in attempts to get a more predictable response. Probably one of the main problems found in FotRSU, and this applies to Sea assets as well, is the disparate sources of a lot of the assets imported to the mod. Each author of a ship or plane has their own idea of how to do things, and they build them for their own version of the game, which that "environment" may well be significantly different from what they are currently being used in...
That's a general proble. In theory, before being merged into a mega-mod, any mod should be tuned to work well with the rest, but indeed that's not always an easy task.

Anyway, talking more specifically about air strikes, the only aircraft property with a direct effect on their probability, should be max radius and maybe max speed.

Quote:
You sir, are correct! The planes were not modeled to be a major player in the game, and the player was not supposed to want to look at the beautiful scenery and wonderfully modeled airplanes and ships of the game, but to rather stay inside his little steel coffin, water dripping from every surface, and grin and bear it looking through a periscope instead... lol - That way, you never see the airplane crash after it dive bombs you, or you never see that what took your boat to the bottom was the plane itself, and not its bomb, which had fallen harmlessly 30 meters away... lol - It is a balancing act to get a decent, appropriate airplane response. Plus, the planes do not "dog fight", so their only true natural enemy are surface ships and submarines... - unless, of course, they crash into each other, which they do from time to time... or crash into hills that are over 500m in height... "AI" need not apply for a job here. Only AD (Artificial Dum-dum) is accepted by the game.

You make it sound like a joke whereas the dumb aircraft could be described as modding drama.

Just one note: TDW developed a patch for making SH5 aircraft to "dogfight". Well, their air duels don't come even near to an actual dogfighting, but seen from a periscopic perspective...
gap is offline   Reply With Quote