Old 09-11-20, 02:59 PM   #42
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilge_Rat View Post
well no actually

Are you suggesting that Battlefront put aside their plans for entirely-new products in order to make happy the people who wanted an updated SF1? SF2 is just more of the same, and all of the work they did makes little difference as both I and Skybird alluded to. Drones are cool yeah, and I can see my F/O kills now. Engine 4 is not a leap forward, it's a tweak that should have been a free patch, not a paid product (for each game even!) or requiring a new game in my view. As an example of what I think they need is a single CM base game where each module plugs in to it, allowing cross-play and where any and all upgrades affect all titles under that banner. It's all just so archaic. The Steam/Slitherine arrangement helps some, but there's a long way to go.

Fire and Rubble (I suggested Red Thunder:Reckoning or Across the Oder, among others but Fire and Rubble won! after they ditched the copyright infringing one that I forget already) is more of the same. New units and a handful of scenarios and maybe a campaign or two for a six year old title, covering what, the last year of the war?. Just the fact that after 6 years we still have just 1944 shows how dated this approach is. CMBB did the entire war on that front and that was nearly 20 years ago and in a single title. At this rate it will be 2040 before I can play Barbarossa in a CMx2-engined game, and by then CMx2 will be 30 years old!

I have no problem with BFC proceeding as they see fit (they seem fine blokes), and customers from purchasing or not depending on how they see things. For me though the series is out of date, and becoming more so every day. I don't want Battlefront to fail. I want them to get with the times and take my money. With the products they release, their lack of ambition and innovation, and the direction they are taking, that looks to be a long way off. I'll vote with my wallet, and it will take a completely new approach to get me back. For me the player experience has to be as important as the accuracy of the uniforms and ToEs and right now I do not feel that is the case. I have plenty of Combat Mission to play when I want it, and no compelling reason to purchase anything new.

Last edited by Threadfin; 09-11-20 at 03:52 PM.
Threadfin is offline   Reply With Quote