View Single Post
Old 05-25-10, 03:40 PM   #155
WarlordATF
Frogman

Downloads: 105
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
There have been several threads lately about problems with planes in Silent Hunter 4, especially with TMO. These posts are quickly followed by advice on how to cheat and modify the configuration files to minimize or eliminate airplanes. I'm sure that's exactly how Dick O'Kane handled the planes....
IMO the planes in SH4 are handled very unrealisticly, patrol aircraft flying maximum duration was the exception not the rule in real life, especially later in the war when fuel became a concern for the Japs. Fuel aside, patrols would rarely fly that far because of the wear and tear on the aircraft. Just because a plane could fly x amount of miles does not mean they did so on a regular basis.

With Sh4 its all or nothing, you have one airstrike.cfg defining maximum range which would vary greatly depending on the aircraft type in the real world. So there really isn't a realistic way to set the game up. If you give them the long range of some of the larger patrol aircraft then planes like the Zero (who don't have drop tanks in the game) behave unrealisticly, give them the shorter range and others are not performing right. You really can't win.

Please don't misunderstand this post as confrontational, i just wanted to explain why i answered the question that was asked and why i see no issue of "Cheating" by modifying the config files that cannot be realistic in the first place.

EDIT: I just checked that post, It didn't ask how to edit the game. The OP was going to give up on TMO Because of the planes and i offered the information as a way to help. My Mistake.