View Single Post
Old 08-23-13, 07:44 AM   #1
SilentEnigma
Nub

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 0
Massive destroyer convoy

Hi all,

Over the last few days I have restarted playing SH4 (with the U-Boat add on, vanilla) on the American campaign. During my latest patrol - the Battle of the Coral Sea takes place a day or so after I leave port - I have saw something, well, funky.

After dropping off an agent on the southern coast of Japan I was ordered to patrol off Honshu Island. I took this opportunity to infiltrate Tokyo Bay and take out a few of the IJN big ships. As I was leaving the bay I dived after receiving a sonar hit on an incoming warship. As I crept away deep under the thermal layer I used the external cam to have a looksee and discovered a convoy of about 30 destroyers. Neat lines of destroyers all heading into the bay. Gave me the impression the AI was out for revenge on the loss of a BB and CA. Needless to say I stayed out the way of them.

I saved a short while later. I reloaded later on to discover my save game was corrupted (from what I have read online, most likely due to the above huge task force). So I am replaying the patrol and now. I am heading towards Tokyo Bay, passing Toyohama, and I have just discovered another huge task force. This one is comprised of - if I have not miscounted or missed any - about 65 destroyers! That is in the range of about half the historical total number of destroyers Japan had in the war, if I am not mistaken.

So, my question (to finally get around to it): what gives? Does anyone know what the hell is going on?
SilentEnigma is offline   Reply With Quote