View Single Post
Old 05-17-20, 04:48 PM   #5
Fidd
XO

Downloads: 10
Uploads: 0

Seeming that this place seems a little moribund, I thought I'd bring people up to speed with my model Frazer Nash FN5 turrets for the future MK 1C "Wellington".

For the last few months I've been completing the silicone plaster-backed mould, and learned to cast using metallised resin. The cast was fine, but I had to do a little filling here and there with car-body filler, and then some weeks sanding it all back with wet-and-dry, finishing it with 2000 grit.

The mould was taken to a local firm who do vac-forming - and then CV19 hit - and not only could I not get there, but they were put onto vac-forming PPE for the local hospitals, so It was nearly 3 months before I could collect the pulled parts. Which is fine - PPE is more important!

The "pulls" of the Perspex - all complex curvatures - arrived a few days ago, as well as some flat sheet for the simple-curved window panels, and I've been cutting up the pulls, and trimming the window panels for the front turret cupola. Each cupola is around a week's effort, as I can't work too long for medical reasons, and each cupola has some 60 bolts, nuts, and clips, to attach the window panels. Very fiddly

There's films of most of the above at my youtube site:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQs...2zKgQW4ASDuh6Q

Attached are the pictures of the glazed front portion, since completely glazed. Note these pictures do not have the brass-straps which are external to the Perspex yet. Nor is the Perspex polished. But it gives an idea.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ftq1.jpg (91.9 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg ftq2.jpg (94.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg ftq3.jpg (93.0 KB, 3 views)
Fidd is offline   Reply With Quote