View Single Post
Old 08-17-20, 12:14 PM   #3
Sniper297
The Old Man

Downloads: 160
Uploads: 19

"sounds like a thoughtful and enjoyable read", well, thanks, those are my words, my synopsis, my interpretation of the book - or possibly books. Can't remember any of the titles offhand since I've read so many, or where or when.

Odd bit of trivia, again can't remember the book titles, but I do remember when and where - driving a taxi in Chicago, 1974, stopped at the downtown library and checked out a few books to read at slack times, most about WWII fleet boats. All US fleet boats started the same size, a cylinder 16 feet in diameter and 250 feet long, only difference was the length of the torpedo rooms - overall length was minor, 302 feet for Porpoise, 308 for Salmon/Sargo, 312 for the rest. Why that sort of thing stuck with me for 46 years I have no idea.

Anyway early subs, like USS TURTLE and CSS HUNLEY, had the ballast tanks inside the hull instead of outside. That meant they were naturally buoyant, by flooding the internal tanks they were taking on weight. Remove the internal tanks and they would stay afloat.

Later subs had external tanks, remove the tanks and the buoyancy is gone, won't float without them.
Sniper297 is offline   Reply With Quote