Old 08-04-20, 02:34 PM   #3
Treetop64
Torpedoman

Downloads: 229
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel shark View Post
it indicates if the target is below or above the thermal layer i think
The arrow also shows on surface ships. Obviously, they will always be above the thermal layer (unless it's sinking, of course...).

Second, the arrow shows when there is no thermal layer.

Also, while crossing above and below a thermal, I compared my sonar sensitivities while tracking a submerged target, and the results simply didn't coincide with the direction the arrow pointing. For example, I'm above the layer, and the arrow in his TMA is pointing up. Yet when I dive, as soon as I cross the layer my sensitivities increase, and the compared numbers rise slightly as well. Go back up through the layer into the surface duct again, and the numbers correspondingly drop again. Arrow points up (or down) the whole time.

Finally, you can clearly see how deep the sub you're tracking is on the conditions window just by his little sub icon. I use a mod that blocks that bit of info as it's kind of a gamey cheat, but still.

The arrow is on the speed row in the TMA, so I'm guessing it has something to do with the contact's speed? But no idea what it indicates. If you have speed data you can already plainly see if he's accelerating or decelerating, so having an arrow somewhat vaguely pointing up or down is redundant.

Like I said, we can make reasonable guesses - not hard to do. But without actually knowing specifically what the arrow indicates, it's kind of pointless to do so.
Treetop64 is offline   Reply With Quote