View Single Post
Old 12-19-10, 01:22 AM   #1
Gargamel
Lucky Sailor

Downloads: 81
Uploads: 0
Default Shifting my paradigm: Ship Sizes.

I'm trying to wrap my head around this.

The other day at work, I drove by the local port, and saw this (better paint job though, But I wanted to show how it was riding, all the other photos she's riding low):

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/shi...MMSI=212791000

I immediately wondered as to it's tonnage, and how easy would it be to sink with one eel.

So I google it on my phone as I went whizzing by, and was astonished by it's tonnage, 17,000!

Now I know that's fairly small by today's standards, but to me the ship did not look that big at all, I really was placing it in with the Granville size freighters we see ingame. I wish I had taken a photo fo it then, because maybe it was just the perspective I saw, but it really truly didn't look that big at all.

In size, how does this compare? The Nogat is 150m x 23m, 7.5m draft. Were the ships of the era that much smaller? As I look at the ESB right now, it seems it's a bit bigger than a large Merchant. But that's sitting at about 7,000 tons.

Where are they getting all the extra tonnage from in today's ships?

If anybody has some good links to shipbuilding techniques or what not of the day, I'd be interested to read this.

Gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote