View Single Post
Old 07-01-17, 06:41 PM   #108
The Bandit
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 39
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carthaginian View Post
I didn't put out all the 'versions' of the GUPPY boats because the I, II, IA, IIA, IB and III were all fairly similar in capabilities... battery power was one of the biggest differentiations, and that isn't represented yet (though I have the drain rates for the Sargo, Guppy and Sargo II batteries). There were some internal differentiations as well, but those were out of the game's scope.
I picked the IIA because I had a distant relative who was in Quillback near the end of her career.
I have been looking for good data on the types of torps the Taiwanese GUPPY IIIs use, so I can do them justice as well.
And of course the Fleet Snorkles were really not that much more advanced than their parent classes... very austure.
What I did was based off of what was still in service as of 1968 with the exception of some of the test boats like Grouper and Bay which were basically floating laboratories.

For the GUPPY, I consolidated the IA and IIAs as they were in general very similar (a bit slower because of the Sargo II batteries). So you have GUPPY IA/IIA, II, and III, two variants each for the difference between the Balao and Tench. While their test depth isn't any difference, the Tench's had a stronger hull thanks to revisions with the ballast tanks (everything earlier than tench had tank risers going through the front torpedo compartment) so I give them about a 50 ft. increase in test depth.

The other six variants are the Fleetboat Snorkels (Balao & Tench respectively) Gato SSKs, "Balao SSKs" (which were just Balao snorkels with BQR-4 sonar) the Gato class auxiliaries (leftovers from the radar pickets mostly) and the two Balao LPSS SEAL transports (one of which was used in Vietnam).

I left out anything that had been taken out of service before the setting of the 1968 campaign, so no GUPPY IBs or some of the other variations.

As for the Taiwanese boats, I think they are GUPPY IIs not IIIs and to the best of my knowledge they use old US Mk 14s and possibly Mk 37s. Not sure how accurate this is but I disabled the wire-guidance on the older boats as I'm not sure if they got the fire-control upgrades to even make wire-guidance possible.

Next thing I think is using the Tango class to stand-in for the USS Seawolf SSN-575.