View Single Post
Old 03-30-21, 03:59 PM   #12
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

That fire starter kit is a good idea, but it wpould come at the cost of the fine screw driver which I indeed use frequently to fix the screws in my glasses.

I also have use of the kife itself, the bottle oepner, the screwdrivers and the scissors. I have cut a small tree with the saw once.

A SAK is the smallest and most usable multi-tool in the world. The leathermans and all that there is are bigger and heavier on the belt, and only of use in a dedicated urban working environment. In the woods, I would not take them with me. Too little use for too much weight.

However, its a nice satisyfying feeling to own one of these:
https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...ght=Victorinox

My belt knifes grew in size with every new one I bought, I now am on a Victorinox Champion,
I would like to have the multi-pliers on it, but buying an even bigger new one just for this I have not really the motivation for. I thought I would switch from the Champion to the Spirit as the standard belt equip, but went back to the Champion. Its smaller, lighter. But the Spirit is a damn fine thing, of excellent manufacturing quality. I look at it and know that I love it just for the looks and feel of it.

When I was at school, it was okay for teachers that I had a smaller Victorniox on the belt all the time, year in and year out, and on some few instances I fixed a screw in the chalkboard in front of the teacher and class, or did some othe rminor quick fixing of stuff with it in class. Nobody ever complained, never had anybody queer looks at me. If a (reasonable and calm) kid would do that today.... The yelling! The outcry...!!! The SCANDAL...!!! In 7th or 8th class we had a class visist to witness a life court, and I forgot to leave it at home, I imagined it would be no good idea to went there with a pocket knife on. My class teacher, when i told her, said "Lets wait and see", and the guards did not care to control us (big mistake I now say as an adult), and so I went in with the others, being the only armed civilian in the building, probabaly. Imagine the horror I could have unleashed!

Oh Baby, baby, baby,
what happened to those days,
when the doors were always open,
and the music always played...