View Single Post
Old 03-30-21, 07:01 AM   #6
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 0

Default Fire Starter for Swiss Army Knives

It is possible that I was the only one who did not know about this.

tortoisegear.com sells two different types of fire starters especially for SAKs

The first is the Fire Fly

These are Fero Rods that take the place of the toothpick that comes with many SAKs. Personally, I have never felt comfortable using the tooth pick as a tooth pick, and honestly the only use I had for them was to clean the gunk out of the grooves of my SAK.

Replace the gnarly toothpick with one of these and you have an emergency fire starter without needing to carry anything extra.

For those whose SAKs have the corkscrew, there is the Fire Ant

The Fire Ant consists of two separate items that both screw into the corkscrew.

The first is a highly compressed tinder material and the second is a small Fero Rod along the design of the optional small screw driver that can be stored inside the corkscrew

Clearly, both of these products are for emergency use only. If I were going somewhere intending to start a fire, I would carry a dedicated full size fire starter, matches, or the good old lighter.

What I like most about this product is that it allows me to carry an emergency fire starter without needing to carry anything other than my SAK.

I have tried to see if it was possible to store one of the Fire Flys inside my Leatherman Wave +.

Unfortunately, the tolerances of the Leatherman Wave + allow no room and if you try to store one, you end up breaking the fire-starter.

Learn from my mistake.

This was disappointing as sometimes I like to carry my Wave + and would liked to have the option of storing one of these small fire-starters inside the Wave.

Just one more reason why SAKs rule.