View Single Post
Old 08-05-22, 05:23 PM   #15
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

We have a proverb in German: "Probieren geht über Studieren".

I am certain that after 8 years development and many prototypes they have tested what there was to be tested. Also, they are in production since some years now, and cannot feed the demand as quickly as orders come in.

Note, the bike is named (K)WIGGLE. The concept is to add a wanted unstability, that is countered by the swinging saddle, counter-balanced, and yes, the frame - both the saddle as well as the centre pole with the handgrips - DOES wiggle left and right with every step on the pedals, and the whole body, the spine and back that is, must swing as well. Look this short video again that I also had posted above:

He looks like a running waiter holding an invisible tablet in front of him. And he "walks" upright.

The view from his back. Looks like someobdy who is running.

The spine swings at all directions, the bottom goes left and right, up and down. Everything swings. No muscles in the back is allowed to not move and to not tense, cannot harden like you have left and right in your lower back when driving a bike for many hours . I do 7-11 hours tours on bike, I know what happens after so many hours - and I have a very good saddle and dampening. With such driving times, the material can be as good as it gets, you start to get problems with your bottom - and with your muscles in your back, left and right along the lower spine, and in the shoulders, and hands. You cannot avoid it.

You do not sit on Kwiggle as fixed as on a bike and you do not stand as motionless as on an e-scooter. You have ,much less wieght on your ahnds and shoulders. Everythign wiggles - and those who have made the experience say after adapting to it, which takes some kilometers, it is very stress-free, joyful, and far less exausting while driving as fast if not faster, than with an ordinary bike.

The man said he drove aroudn the Isselmeewr in Holand in one rush, 16 hours, nonstop - 300 km. More than half of the time in cold and against a harsh wind. He also managed a steep climb of 30 km in the Alpes, with a steepness of 13% , some famous track.

I imagine it is like with inline-skating. Have you done that? I have. Nothing in inline-skating is static or non-dynamic, everythign swings, your spine, your limbs, your body, arms, legs. You need to swing in order to skate well.

The video shows it quite well how the whole body swings in a way that you do not see with people on ordinary bikes. And then the speed , that is clearly in excess of the 25 km/h that my e-bike would support before switching off the motor . With a classic, non-electric touring/city bike, my average speed is 15-19 km/h or so. I saw that alrteady with the Bromptons of my parents, I tried them of course. And was amazed how fast you are on them, depsite the smaller wheels. Just terrible dampening, I would not like to ride these for hours and hours, the tyres are not fat (wide) enough f or such small size, me thinks. . ...

Everything in this Kwiggle bike looks counter-intuitive. It looks as if you must fail with it, and break every bone you have at first opportunity, still people are enthusiastic about it, the company is a great success, is expanding. All if's and cannot's, all reasons why it should not work becasue it cannot work mean little if one has not tried it for oneself.

The truth lies in the ride.

I'm looking forward to learn all about it. I am very confident. Will post about it. Thought by now I already would by now, but the logistics drama hits them as well.

P.S. Your note on the steering shaft. Note that you do not sit on this bike, but you "sit-stand". The steering handles are closer to your body than on a normal bike, too, and you are in a much more upright posiiton, you "stand" or better: you walk. There is not as much weight on the steering handles as if you would lean on them while sitting on a normal bike. Different to a normal bike, most of your body weight rests on your legs with this bike, not on the saddle/your bottom, and your arms/hands). The inventor somewhere says that he got the idea when watching race drivers at the tour de france, when they lift from the saddle and then stand in the pedals, but never for long before sitting again. They sprint this way, but cannot endure it for long time, and so the inventor thought about a way to enable the more powerful pedal push from standing - without the exhaustion he saw with the race drivers.

Last edited by Skybird; 08-05-22 at 05:46 PM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote