View Single Post
Old 02-21-20, 03:35 PM   #8702
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVGWarhawk View Post
And there is the rub. This great melting pot of a country has many wave lengths as a result of many cultures. In the past, immigrants came to America to seek the American dream. I think many still do. But there are also many that have a different dream. Unity is an archaic word with no meaning any longer.

I think the ease of modern communications has a lot to do with that.

It maintains ties with the old country that would have withered and broken far more quickly in earlier times. Back in the day immigrants were far more isolated from their home countries than they are now. Sure they could write snail mail letters to family and friends back home (assuming both sides could read and write) but that cost money and could take weeks to get a response.

Nowadays they just pick up their cell phone and they could be just down the street rather than on a different continent.

This coupled with the ease of modern transportation that turns a several week long arduous journey into a few hour long airplane ride and it's pretty clear that while the melting pot has not gone away completely yet it's temperature has been brought way down and I believe it will take increasingly longer for it to work it's magic.