View Single Post
Old 09-03-20, 01:11 AM   #5540
Cajun Kaleun
Seaman

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0

1. Flotilla had transferred Brest and I took command of U-94 a Type VIIC boat in September of 1940. First patrol was to be off the west cost of England near the entrance of the Bristol Channel. Had to dive several times to avoid aircraft and gave me an excuse to put the new boat through its paces.

Getting close to our patrol area a merchant vessel is spotted so we go flank to get in position since we are surfaced at night. Just as we are about to dive we suddenly spot a destroyer who also spots us and starts charging at our position. I attempt a potshot with the aft torpedo but it misses and we get depthcharged for several hours. When it seems they have lost our scent we go to periscope depth to take a peek. Unfortunately he is very close so again I snapshot with a torpedo as he begins firing at the periscope. This time there is an explosion but it doesn't sink the destroyer but it limps off.

We surface and charge the batteries and prepare to enter the Bristol Channel again. We hear a merchant on hydrophones while making our approach submerged coming from behind. We intercept his track and lie in wait and send two eels his way. Aimed a little further ahead than intended but make the C3's front deck go awash. Surface and finish him off with the deck gun and report in to command. We dive and continue eastwards and again catch another merchant on the hydrophones and it is another C3. Another two eels and a deck gun and we are once again eastbound.

We find a dockyard that I observe for a bit to see if it is worth the approach but decide with all the destroyers and patrol craft on hydrophones and the inability to get a good angle on the ships berthed there we head back west. We come across two ships entering the channel traveling together a small merchant and a tanker so we sit and wait. One eel for each hitting both amidships snapping them in half. I decide to head west to open ocean since we are making Bristol Channel into a graveyard.

While surfaced and charging the batteries we are bounced by several aircraft. Man the AA guns and go flank to get some distance then suddenly a couple of destroyers appear on the horizon we dive with barely charged batteries and hope for the best. Thankfully they end up depthcharging far off our position so we slink away back to Brest to several medals and promotions for the crew. Over 22,000 tons of shipping sank it was a very good patrol.
Cajun Kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote