Old 09-01-20, 02:49 AM   #5537
Kapitän
The Old Man

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 0
Default U 112 Type IXB 1940/2020 - 1st War Patrol - 1st Convoy Battle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapitän View Post
Started a new career in August 2019, to commemorate the beginning of WWII, 80 years ago ...

- continued from 31 August 1940, 0702h -

0825 - After about 1.5h, the convoy stops zig-zagging and continues on course 100°.

0830 - Qu. 1882AM - Reached forward position to the port side of the convoy. New course 190°. "Battle Stations!"

0848 - Decks Awash. Boat sliding-in between the port rear corvette and the outer port column of the convoy. Distance in both directions is about 700m.

Tubes III & IV are G7a, K-a/Contact Fuse, running depth 4m, Vt40kn, Shooter: Ltnt.z.S. & I.W.O. Emmo MARBACH.

Target ship is a Large Tramp Steamer in Pos.5 of the middle column. One torpedo is a hit, while the other is a miss for some un-identified reason.

Tubes I & II are G7e, K-b/Contact Fuse, running depth 4m, Shooter: Ltnt.z.S. & I.W.O. Emmo MARBACH.

Target ship is a Standard Steamer with military aircraft as upper deck cargo.

The result of the attack cannot be observed, as the boat is illuminated by star shells right after the torpedoes are launched. The boat is being attacked with surface weapons and is sustaining damage to the pressure hull.

0900 - "ALARM!" Boat is crash diving.

Cmdr.: "During the diving process, 3 distinct torpedo hits and sinking noises are heard. This means, that both Eto's are hits and that the other Ato, must have hit another ship as well."

Boat diving to A+70. Wabos (Depth Charges) above the boat and astern during further course.

0945 - Surfaced the boat after 45min. and 2.4sm.

0955 - Morning Dawn - The Flower Corvette returns to the convoy. New course 100° - pursuing convoy. "Dismissed from Battle Stations!"

Cmdr.: "As I am positioned on the side of the moon, I have to remain outside of the field of view of the enemy."

- to be continued -

Started a new career in August 2019, to commemorate the beginning of WWII, 80 years ago ...

- continued from 31 August 1940, 0955h -

1110 - Qu.1894AM - Reached forward position to the stbd. side of the convoy. New course 10°. Diving for submerged attack.

Cmdr:: "I'm a bit too far off, so, I have to submerge to T=18 and go to full speed ahead." "Battle Stations!".

Tube I is G7e, K-b/Contact Fuse, running depth 4m. Target ship is a standard steamer with tanks as upper deck cargo in Pos.3 of the outer stbd. column. The torpedo is a hit but the steamer keeps going, virtually unfazed.

Cmdr.: "Another Standard Steamer in Pos.2, had military trucks as upper deck cargo and a US-American steamer in the same column, was carrying military aircraft. So much for remaining 'neutral' ...".

I attack the previously torpedoed Large Tramp Steamer with tube II, G7e, K-b/Contact Fuse, running depth 4m. The torpedo is a hit and the steamer sinks after about 5min., by the stem. I'm running off on opposite course and then on course 325°."

1200 - Qu.1886AM - Days Run: 149.0sm - 132.2sm (15h 22') - 16.8 (8h 38')

1212- Sunrise - The stbd. Corvette has run back to the convoy. The destroyer is still on ASW search.

1240 - The V&W destroyer is running back to the convoy.

1245 - Surfaced the boat. "Dismissed from Battle Stations!"

- to be continued -