View Single Post
Old 07-19-19, 04:20 AM   #54
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by vienna View Post
The more I hear about the situation, the more I wonder about the Revolutionary Guards: could it be possible the Ayatollahs in the Iranian government have lost their leash hold on the Guards and the Guard has gone rogue? It wouldn't be the first time a radical fanatic military unit has turned on its own leaders, usually because they deem the leadership as too 'soft'. The only other conclusion would be the Ayatollahs have a real death wish...
The RG are a state within the state, and their officers control and own criticla parts of the Iranian economy, industry and business, so they have their own material interests for sure - and they use their position to protect them. This is not rwally new, but is so since longer time, it was like this already in the 90s, maybe not to sich and extensive degree, but I canot comoare since IU do not know the present status, but I would expect it has become worse in the past 20+ years.

You can maybe think of it by comparing them to the Praetorians in Rome. initially founded as a elite guard for the Ceasars, they sometimes turned against their masters if these were in the way of their own interests. I do not say that the RG can and would turn against the Ayatollahs any time soon, but I think it is important to not foget that they have their own interests - and the Ayatollahs must take them into account.