View Single Post
Old 04-02-14, 02:47 PM   #5
Rayydar
Watch

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Thoughts of an Addict

Some thoughts by just another addict:

First of all, the game is great. Nils did an outstanding job (except those static, straight wakes of turning ships which have been criticized elsewhere). I particularly love the twilight ambience and to watch ships going down. I also like the friendly and patient support on Facebook.

However:

1. There might be a technical issue:
the tap response on an iPad Air. Sometimes I have to tap on the (maybe superfluous anyway) 'Next' button for eight (!) times. Even worse: time-critical taps, i.e. bomber dive and release actions. Sometimes I'm hammering the glass (well, the plastic) out of my iPad and wish to have a mouse.
This happens regardless if the screen is cluttered with finger prints or absolutely clean. I'm not said to be particularly clumsy on touch screens, and I do not have this problem with any other app. Did other users experience this as well?
I have no notion of touchpad programming, but I guess there could be sensivity parameters. The point may be: if one does not tap exactly vertically in a 90° angle, scrolling takes place rather than the desired action. Adjustments of the camera sensivity parameter were not successful.

As for the game itself:

2. I'd prefer a free sequence of:
2.1 Ships: It is somehow confusing if you select a ship in the list and give a command which refers to another ship, the active one due to the fixed sequence.
2.2 Actions: It is disturbing when you are in an excellent shooting-position but first have to move out of it before you can really let your guns speak. There is an (otherwise inferior) game called 'Battle Fleet' providing two buttons for 'coarse' and 'shoot' for free choice.

3. Shore bombardment:
The use of radar is not possible because a tap shows the colored target markers. Reasonable so far, because land targets usually cannot be 'radared'. But sometimes, with a 5 - 10% chance, radar does work!

4. Collisions scuttling both ships:
Come on, is this realistic? Sometimes I lost a battle just because the active ship was zoomed in and I didn't see its neighbor. I read about the reason (prevent ramming of enemy ships). But this is what sometimes happened! Also, the history of naval warfare is full of collisions of friendly ships - the German Kriegsmarine was particularly good in that.

But AFAIK never ever both involved ships sank.
Suggestion: Inflict more or less damage depending on size / armor of the involved ships, maybe scuttle a DD, CL, CVE rammed by a BB - but do not scuttle both vessels unconditionally.

5. Subs:
I think both sides should have subs. Japanese subs were quite good and sank major allied warships. In the Atlantic and Mediterranean as well, both Brits and Germans made ample use of their subs.
In many scenarios, however, subs are deployed too far away from the enemy; thus they hardly or never have a chance to come within torpedo range. Their limited speed is realistic; their vulnerability when surfaced as well. But pleeease deploy them a little nearer to the foe.

So much for now.
Rayydar is offline   Reply With Quote