View Single Post
Old 06-21-20, 03:51 PM   #7
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post
So lets face it, we're simulating submarines which for most part operated without support, so it is fairly rare in the sim to get support such as air strikes etc. I think maybe twice in the ten years plus have been in SH 4 have I received air support, both were when carriers were nearby. One was back in stock around time of Leyte Gulf I ran into a TF in philippines, sent contact report. I made my attack, then went deep to evade. I used external cam to watch the depth charges and heard buzzing and ships were firing guns, over couple hours several waves of ineffective planes attacked, it was not bad for stock game. Next time was with RSRD mod, ran into the retreating IJN fleet and sent contact report, a swarm of planes came in( aside from those scripted by lurker) and attacked, they took out a lot of ships, was cool) . Wolfpacks(US version of them) occurred later in war and did do some mutual support (which would have made sense of the devs to model, you know, send a friendly sub to assist sinking a convoy or tf, but they chose not to)

Anyways, point is it was not unusual in real life nor in the sim for subs to have zero support unless happen to be nearby.

Thanks Bubblehead, interesting report, so it shows it's possible to receive assistance, but you need to be lucky apparently which I also did expect, although most of the friendly airports are not very far away at career start in 1941-1942 or so (for example if you start from Manilla until its siege it should have friendly planes), and about friendly carriers, well, I'd be very lucky to see one some day, I think I would follow him on this route for a good while

Greetings,
XS
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote