View Single Post
Old 03-23-19, 01:29 PM   #1
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4
Default Command Aces of the Deep (Win95) - HexEdit questions

[EDIT: Please skip this first post and start reading the next one , this one is no longer useful, I just keep it for context. Thanks!]

Hello dear subsimers,
I've been able finally to run CAOD on Windows 7 following most of the tips in the 'Tactical' section of the sub games here on Subsim, also resolving all game sound problems. The game runs well and I can focus on gameplay.

In the mentioned 'Tactics' section there is an interesting HexEdit article for the game, it's here:

http://www.subsim.com/ssr/tipaod4.html

I have tested it, I was able to edit successfully most things, but I would like your feedback about the 'Homeport' edition. I have tried everything, but I was not able to change my 3D position in the game, say my homeport, except for the cases where submarines are supposed to leave the port at a certain date (which is cumbersome to try out by trial-error).
What I'm interested in is: I would like to change my 3D position into the Mediterranean Sea with the HexEdit without playing and passing through Gibraltar, like Stephen L. Hildebrand, the author of the article suggests it's possible. I was not able to do that, also by reading the CAOD manual it's written that (non-textually) :
"...you can go in the Med Sea with your boat and dock at La Spezia or Taramis when the ports are available, but you will never be transfered to these ports."
This would mean that a re-location to La Spezia (hex 07 at 4B) and Taramis (hex 0A at 4B) will never work. If I try I get re-located to La Rochelle.

What is your experience? Where you ever able to re-locate to another position, also the Med Sea with the help of these HexEdits? If yes how did you succeed?

Thanks very much, also for telling your ideas and comments
Have any problems for installing the game and playing? Just ask here, I tell you what I did to run fine (my OS is Windows 7 64 Bit).

Meanwhile, my research goes on

Last edited by XenonSurf; 04-17-19 at 10:00 AM.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote