View Single Post
Old 04-20-21, 07:42 AM   #579
3catcircus
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 247
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by u crank View Post
And this seems to be a standard reaction now. Is it based on the belief that if I resist they will let me go? A bystander can be heard saying to Floyd "you can't win". Once the police decide to arrest or detain they are not going to change their minds.
As I keep saying... The police are a *consequence* of the law. Their decision to arrest someone is based on a significant level of professional discretion. That discretion usually dependss upon how hard you have to make them work when dealing with you, with some situations requiring them to arrest you regardless.

An encounter over a counterfeit $20 bill and a cooperative suspect = a ticket and a direction to leave the premises.

Be difficult and you'll likely get a response of something like "you made me chase you?!?! Here's a good dose of wooden shampoo for making me have to run!!!"

At the far end are the fools who decide to fight an arrest or pull a weapon. *All* of the current law enforcement training pounds home the message that an initially friendly and cooperative domestic or traffic stop can end with the death of the officer because they let down their guard when the person they interacted with decided to pull a weapon and attack.

The message is simple: if you are a member of the public interacting with the police, just behave. You're chances of going to jail for minor offenses is essentially zero. Your treatment if that are arresting you for warrants or serious crimes will be civil. If you are being improperly arrested, court is the place to challenge it, not on the side of the road.

If you are engaged in civil disobedience, you are going in expecting to be arrested and have plans in place for your lawyer to be standing by and ready to bail you... The whole purpose is publicizing the situation with an intent to challenge the law in court

If you are an antifa rioter/looter, that isn't civil disobedience. Not is rioting that results from the verdict of a case like this.
3catcircus is offline   Reply With Quote