View Single Post
Old 04-28-13, 04:10 PM   #3
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3219
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWalleye View Post
Fitzcarraldo, I believe the black band all around your monitor screen is the result of what is called overscan, a legacy from old-time CRT TV receivers. Check here for more information about what overscan is and does: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overscan. (And nobody please post that Wikipedia is not a reliable source. For this technical article, it's fine.)

Your new monitor is set up assuming that the incoming signal is a TV OTA transmission that is already overscanned. So, to compensate and give you the full 1980x1020 resolution, your monitor has stretched the signal out a few pixels all around. But the incoming signal is true 1920x1080 and there's no image data in the edge band your monitor added on. To get rid of the black band, you have to change the settings on your monitor to display the incoming signal without overscan correction. This is easy to do in the monitor's settings menu. BUT EVERY MANUFACTURER CALLS IT SOMETHING DIFFERENT! So you have to read your manual for any setting that SOUNDS LIKE it's really controlling overscan. You may need to spend some time on-line googling to find the right setting. But once you find it, just turn off the overscan and the black band will go away.

BTW, I use WideScreen_complete_GWX&StockSH3 with GWX v3.0 and it works fine. But I have a 23" HD monitor and at 1920x1080, the UI buttons and gauges are TINY! So I run at 1366X768. Lose some of the awesome crispness, but it's easier to play.

Hope this works out for you. Please post back if you have trouble resolving this issue.
OK, I solved the question of the black bands. Now I have a Widescreen SH3, full display, with my monitor in 1920x1080. Also I have a 23".

But I have 1360x768 as setting in the d3d.dll from WS. The image has some blur; I can live with that, but I think my resolution of 1920x1080 is missed: it seems I have 1360x768, in a full display, with some blur.

Many thanks for the answer!

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote