View Single Post
Old 03-24-19, 09:03 PM   #6
Jonas Grumby
Watch

Downloads: 123
Uploads: 0

From the mission start I've found a convoy is ALWAYS out there, either visible or within hearing range.
I use the May or June 1940 Bay of Biscay mission. You will start out right around sunrise most times when you select this mission. If not, I've found going out to the lobby and starting another game is will change the time to something you are looking for. I prefer day myself while familiarizing myself.

When you first start, go to bridge or (I use) the obversation scope and check the horizon. If they aren't visible just dive and listen.
The buttons on the hydrophones on the left side are not really needed.
Turn the gain all the way up then sweep for sound. The high gain will give you mucho distortion. Point at the ships and reduce gain till the distortion just fades and you can hear prop beats clearly. Now sweep again in both directions till you hear distortion. Again, turn the gain down till the distortion fades and the props are audible. Repeat till a sweep across all the ships is clear of distortion and the loudest sound is the bearing you need to steer to.
Once you steer and listen and have your the convoy dead ahead, just surface and go full speed ahead with all tanks bone dry. You'll see them eventually.
The bridge and binoculars is in my opinion the best way to do the visual search. Once you sight them in daylight, I'd stay very far away if I were you.
I've found once the ships are visible it is almost no time before they start firing on you if you stay surfaced.
Jonas Grumby is offline   Reply With Quote