Thread: SH-60 Help
View Single Post
Old 06-29-07, 02:37 AM   #7
Hans_Brux
Nub

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Firstly, I want to say I'am glad my post was of any use to you Next, I have to clear out some terminology I used. I know you understood my post, but here where I live we say "Order makes friends" I talked about trackers. My use of this term in official terminology = intersection of two or more LOBs, we mark this point (area) with marker. So, that's it I highly recommend to write down the time when the marker was created bellow the marker. This is crutial for getting the target speed and for getting general idea where the sub is (if first two markers with 2 mnts gap are distanced 1000yds, there is high probability that in next 2mnts sub will be somewhere in the area within 1000 yds from 2nd marker a.s.o...). To answer your question: yeah, it's possible. But it's much better to draw those 2 mnts markers, make it five times - you get 5 markers, first and last one with your desired 10 mnts gap and you can still get benefit from those three left By making only two markers (10 mnts gap) you can seriously miss (especially on zig-zaging sub), because you don't know if those positions were extremes or not. Yeah, it's all about MATH!! The best way to get really accurate idea of target general course is to make AT LEAST five markers (let's say with 2 mnts gap, but the gap can be longer, if you have enough time to track the sub - in P3 in the middle of the ocean, for example ) and then draw a line, which distance (rectangular) from each marker will be +- equal - in math this is called aproximation. The line is the general course of your target. I think now you see where the problem with your 10 mnts gap is - as we place the markers, we do it with errors (unavoidably) and two markers are simply not enough to correct those errors (offsets) in the above written process (aproximation). Your 2 markers can be off (lets say each by 200 yds from real target position), so the line connecting them could be seriously off his real course. Next case is when your markers are generally good (little error), but were placed unfortunately at the farthest point from the general course of the sub (point where sub turns back towards the "line" of general course). You see that if the second point will be made on the other side of this line (again extreme for example), the line between those two point will be faaaar away from the real general bearing So, that's it
Hans_Brux is offline   Reply With Quote