View Single Post
Old 01-23-20, 04:17 PM   #16
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro View Post
They actually traced this outbreak virus to a lady that ate a snake purchased at the local market in this area now quarantined.

On you tube is another video of a lady eating a bat ... how dumb is that

https://in.news.yahoo.com/snakes-mig...095553642.html

Snakes might be the source of coronavirus outbreak in China, says new study

Yeah, this seems to always happen in China and Africa. They need to build more Whataburgers there.

For me, the crazy thing about this latest virus - it spreads human to human, it has a 14 day incubation period, and even though they are locking down Wuhan and a couple other cities, they seem to be about 14 days behind. People who were in Wuhan two weeks ago, they have it but they may not be showing symptoms, yet they are spreading it. News was saying they expect millions of Chinese to travel abroad this weekend for the New year, seriously? Don't people think it may be a good idea to change plans? I tell you, one day there will be a virus like this, and it will mutate to a strand with a really bad fatality rate, and it will be unstoppable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
If it reaches Germany and they lock down my city as well, I could hold out from cold start for 2-3 months, including drinking water, toilet and washing water, food, medicine, energy, warmth, cooking heat of various sorts.

Boy scout picnic in my flat.

A
People spend so much money for insurrances: for their car, their family, their house, their camping trailer, their health, property, flat, bicylce, their this, their that - and if fate does not strike them, they will never get anything of it back,those thousands and thousands of coins you paid over the years are lost forever. . Now do the math of how much money this costs you! And then you tell the world that you cannot afford to spend a few hundred, maybe 1-2 thousand dollars for the direct safety and supply of your family with the goods of important needs of everyday life - by buying and stockpiling them a bit, so that you can keep them and they are yours for all time to come? I do not believe you! 2 thousand dollars - the costs of one holiday trip with all the family. That is not worth it, in your opinion?

Think again.
Yeah, I agree, a little prepping is not a bad thing. Right now I am in between houses, so I am pretty vulnerable. Hopefully my new house will be built and ready by July. Right now I could hold out 2 weeks max.

As for MREs vs storing general canned food, the can stuff will last 2 years pretty easily. Any disaster that lasts more than two years is something I don't have a plan for, other than Mad Maxxing it 24/7. Let's hope it doesn't come to that.

One strategy I thought of, have a "help a neighbor pantry/stash, aka public supplies, that you can give out, but keep your main supplies hidden, as in buried or behind a brick wall. That way when a neighbor comes for help, you can help, but he "sees" your limited supply and maybe will think you are just like him. As they see your supplies dwindle, they won't direct all their attention to you. Then when you empty your public supplies, you just need to stick to a strict ration and lose weight like everyone else, until they are too weak to attack you, then hold out with your regular diet. Cold-hearted, I know. But it's the age old dilemma, people/friends/relatives will mock a prepper until the SHTF, then they will plead for your kind-hearted help, and then attack you if they need to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET2SN View Post
Well, just so we're clear, I'm not advocating cannibalism.
If you're packing heat and ammo, and you have the energy to slaughter the townsfolk, there's only one other thing to make sure you have. A stew pot and the means to light a fire under it.

Of course, if its just a disaster and not the end of civilization, its going to be embarrassing (to say the least) when the cops and the Army show up and you're standing there. Next to piles of clothes, shoes, and polished bones
Post of the Year candidate!
Onkel Neal is online   Reply With Quote