View Single Post
Old 08-07-14, 07:32 PM   #22
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37
Uploads: 0

I have made a little war story so you can see or read how thing in theory work in or on a provisional Swedish airbase in case of a war

I am definitely not a writer type, so understand that my fictional stories can be a bit cloudy. Fictional in action, but not in technical actions

Start of story

Its May 7, time 1316, somewhere outside the Polish maritime border a group of 10 JAS39 Gripen C is heading homeward.

Originally they were 16.

6 was shot down by enemy fighters, SAM's and AAA. And three of these 10 remaining fighters have been damage due to AAA or SAM's. The damage goes from light to severe.

The mission was a major failure.. Only one of the three targets got a indirect hit (partial damage) The defense was to heavy

While they are on the way home each pilot get information on their on-board computer. This information tells them that he and his plane has got a new landing place

Each pilot plot the new information into the computer(Additional info. Every JAS39 has a complete
overview and description of all roads in Sweden). After the pilot have plotted the new information into the on-board computer a new heading is made for him.

When these 10 fighters have almost reached the Swedish maritime boarder the group divide into two minor group.(4+6)

This 4 plane of the 10 JAS39 is heading to toward south of central Sweden the other six are heading north

Meanwhile a random airbase has been created outside of a small town. It took a military group about 2 hours to create this fully functional airbase(can't remember what they are called)

Right after the airbase is finished the leader call for a meeting those who attend this meeting is the
chief mechanic, weapons officer, intelligence officer, medics and some other important person vital to the operation of this base and the JAS39

In the beginning of this meeting the leader tell every one that 4 Fighter is returning from a mission and one of them have been hit by either AAA or fragments from a SAM and three more JAS39 will arrive from. South and additional three fresh pilot will arrive.

He give orders to the chief mechanic and the medics who takes note

The Intelligent officer tell the group about the coming target these 6 JAS39 shall destroy

The weapon officer takes note.

After the meeting is finished starts a flurry of activity at the base, everything has to be in order when the fighter jets arrive, especially the four aircraft that have been on mission who need extra service.

About 30 minutes later the three JAS39 from south arrives they land and taxi to a waiting point
15 minutes thereafter the first of the 4 JAS39 approach the runway/road after landing the director direct him to his waiting point. The last JAS39 that land is the plane who has been damaged. In case it should crash on the runway/road.

The plane lands with no problems and the firefighters and the medics are there to help this wounded pilot. the other pilots have gathered in large tent(forgot the name of it) the Plane that have been damaged are moved to special spot and so is one of the three undamaged plane. This plane need a longer maintenances

When each plane has landed and have reach their point the pilots take a talk with the chief mechanic who takes note

after he has talked with the last pilot he has a meeting with the other mechanics where he gives them a short briefing.

Even the weapon officer has a meeting with the folks to inform them what type of weapon the plane shall have a.s.o

Three of these pilots have been moved to a new location where they can get some rest before their next task.

The rest of the pilots are getting information from the leader and the intelligent officer.

While this meeting is going on and the pilots are getting something to eat

The fighter planes are getting ready for the next mission.

They are refueled, reloaded with the type of weapon needed for this mission

About 1 hour later the pilots return to their JAS39. Each pilots plot the way points a.s.o into the on board computer and taxi to the starting point

approximately 1 hour and 45 minutes after the first JAS39 aircraft had landed on this temporary airbase, the last of these six JAS39 takes off

Right after the last plane has left the base the military group start to pack things together

End of story

So you see we do things at almost the same time. The military make plans for the next mission or start to plane for the next mission already after the last fighter jet have left the base. a.s.o

It is of course more complex than my story I haven't mention the defence of the base and other stuff

And that's is also a reason to why I "I Just want to know" why a ground crew in USA need about 6 to refuel and reload a.s.o a F-18 or whatever fighter jet it may be.

Markus

Last edited by mapuc; 08-07-14 at 07:50 PM.
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote