View Single Post
Old 10-25-20, 12:32 AM   #15
FrisianCommander
Swabbie

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
I rewatched this video again now that I've had plenty of play time under my belt and it was rather interesting to note some things that I missed earlier (a few years back). Kinda like you, when I first watched it, it appears to be missing something in the details.

After identifying the ship type (which he sends to the TDC), he used the stadimeter to give him a range readout. What's missing when he does this is he's not showing that he is marking a point on the Nav map that corresponds to the relative bearing from the sub and the distance obtained from the stadimeter. When he does the second mark, he does the same thing marking a second point on the Nav map that again corresponds to the relative bearing. (Note this could be done even without Map updates enabled, which is far more realistic). He now has a course marked on his Nav map for the enemy ship which he determined to be north.

It's also possible he already knew the course was North, since his video doesn't show any interruption (back/forth) to the Nav Map.

At this point in the video he just tells you that he determined the course to be North and uses that to adjust the AOB value for the TDC.

If he timed the marks to be exactly 3 minutes apart, he also obtained a close reading for the speed for the TDC.

What was really interesting for me, (that I missed for some reason earlier), was his adjustment of the AOB dial in the (upper right corner of the screen) to make the TDC ship pointer (on the upper left corner of the screen) correspond with a course of due North (marked on the dial and not pointing straight up). Before, I had always just adjusted the AOB (upper right corner) to correspond to where my lead angle setting was when I was lined up to shoot (generally a zero gyro shot on a fast 90, but sometimes an angled zero gyro shot), not really understanding it's usefulness for the TDC combined with the red Position Keeper button which I never use because it would foul up my shot. It probably fouled up my shot because I wasn't adjusting the AOB like Werner did to make the TDC target ship point in the direction of its course.

Hope this is not too confusing. I couldn't find any other more detailed tutorials in regards to how to manually set up a shot like Werner's video. He's good. This makes me want to retry the manual (no map update) method myself. LOL
Thank you very much, Gray Lensman. I think you exactly tried to do what I asked: fill in the gaps that WernerSobe left out because I couldn't understand where he got his conclusions/information from.

However, it is still a little bit difficult to understand without seeing it happening in front of me. I have been thinking about this and perhaps you or someone else is willing to help me in the folllowing way: we go to Discord and I go to Twitch (or YouTube) and I stream my game. Then you can tell me how it should be done. Could that be an idea?

I look forward hearing from you.
FrisianCommander is offline   Reply With Quote