Old 02-04-09, 11:18 AM   #56
porphy
Commodore

Downloads: 4
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird
Running a DVI cable.

Porphy, maybe I lacked verbal precision, but indeed, while the desktop resolution is now 1680x1050, and when using the 4:3 hardware button, you need to select a 4:3 resolution inside the game, yes. The point is that this is a very comfortable way to achieve this, compared to the separate software somebody recommended some posts above to do that. You simply hit that button, and you're done for that game. You leave the game, hit that button again, et voila! the resolution is crispy, since it is hardware 4:3 resolution you set, and no scaling is being done by the monitor. The result is not new, but it seems to be very easy to achieve here.

I tested it with a couple of games, and probably will use it in ArmA and Oblivion, both of which suffer a bit from the 1680-resolution. Both games look very well, using this 4:3 feature. And again: very easy to achieve the wanted outcome. Press-and-forget.

I got the monitor for 180 euros. For that price, I really cannot complain about colours and how dark areas are looking. For a monitor in the recommended price range of 200-250 euros, to me it seems to be very good. The monitor won several awards last year in German magazines, 1st place for price-value, and some quality awards for monitors in that price segment.

Can it be done better? Probably yes. For this smile price? Don't think so. And if this ones lives only three years, I will cry less than if I have spend 400 Euros or more. I am still somewhat alarmed of the longevity of TFTs compared to CRTs.

What I also liked is that it was truly plug-and-play. Easy-to-reach buttons for picture settings. you can, but you must not install additional software drivers.

Running "Dream Aquarium" has just fooled my parents for some seconds, who visited me by surprise while I just had unpacked the thing.
Ah, thanks for the clarification. That button is good. I wish my monitor had that press and forget function.

Every time I change graphic drivers I have to fiddle with the software tool that allows for no scaling in nvidia control panel. And even then it's not always reliable, as the option sometimes revert back...

"A paranoid is simply someone in possession of all the facts."
W. B.
porphy is offline   Reply With Quote