View Single Post
Old 10-20-13, 08:15 PM   #12
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tscharlii View Post
Those are .wav counterparts to the .ogg files of the game. My mod plays the speech through the directsound api, which understands .wav by default but not ogg. Obviously there has to be a ogg decoder included in sh5, but I have not looked for it yet. Some files (those with real names, eg. YesCaptain.wav) are cut from other sound file, so they can be used in a different context.
I see now. Maybe you should also include English sound files then, for the ones who don't like German speech

Quote:
Yes, but probably after other things work. See below

Quote:
This is what I want to focus on. I'll skip aspect/speed estimations for now. They can be added later on when realistic hydrophone information gathering works properly.
Okay, a GHG hydrophone and an unexperienced operator should result in a bearing margin of error not lesser of ±1.5 deg on average; probably much higher at long range, near bow/stern, and when surrounding noise level is high.

Quote:
My idea here is to suppress the initial stock contact report altogether, and have my own initial contact report, as soon as the sonarman is able to hear the contact after considering all the relevant factors. His report will rather be something like "I can hear something on starport abeam". Starting from there he will gather more precise information. I'm currently in the process of determining whether and how it is possible to suppress stock speech and shiplog reports.
Cool, I like this feature. I wish you good luck with it

Quote:
Maybe these ideas should go into TDWs directions, since he is the author of "report estimated range". Also, I probably shouldn't try to fix his code again in the near future.
As far as you don't use his code there shouldn't be problems at all. I am probably overcautious on these matters though. If there was an easy way to get in touch with TDW, he would probably encourage your work. Unfortunately this is not possible at present. In any case, if you get inspirations from his code for introducing some improvements into it, and as far as you don't get money from it, you do it openly and you give him credit, and you support his mod, I don't think TDW will complain. But try outsmarting him or claiming his code as yours own, and soon or later he will know it

Quote:
In fact I had a similar function in my mod with voice reports and all, but removed it before releasing the first version of this mod, because I was not sure, how realistic it is to have the soundman tell distances +-100 or even +-1000 meters at all. I imagine this requires a huge deal of experience and this experience seems to be hard to build up. Different engines, different speeds, weather conditions, and you never get first hand visual feedback, whether your estimation was correct. Maybe in military training sessions before going on patrol for real.
Estimating rough ranges trough hydrophone was surely possible. Today I have read a British report on the interrogation of the survivors of a captured/destroyed u-boat, where the sonarman had (correctly) reported a range to the attackers of only 500 m, and the commander had discarded it based on his periscope visual (he was convinced that the pursuing ship was much bigger, thence his wrong range esitimation). Undortunately I didn't save the link, but I will try looking again for it tomorrow

Quote:
I'm not a huge fan of telling people how they have to play a game. What I do is, I never press that button, albeit it is there. It's a choice, like setting "no map contacts" in the options dialog or installing "real navigation".
People are not forced to use a mod either. I would gladly disable that button, if I had an option to do it. Why? you may ask. Well I suppose for UI cleannes, and for avoiding dispensable temptations in the most harsh situations
gap is offline   Reply With Quote