View Single Post
Old 07-25-19, 08:47 PM   #5
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Those "pop-ups" from the Pampanito site are just that, pop-ups. The vendor hopes that you'll think you have to subscribe, but you don't. You just click on the background, or on the close button (which has very little contrast), and get to browsing through the file. A little while later, that same pop-up will show up, but again, just go around it. However, if you're looking at the page, and can't see the text - let's say they've used the same carbon paper for twenty-two pages now, and the text is getting really weak, and you wonder, "Is that 'Roi-Nor', or 'Bot-Mon'???"... so you hit the "zoom" button, or full-screen, or any one of a number of page definition changes, and that shtinking reader takes you back to page one of the file... Not cool if you're on Patrol 10.

The HNSA site vendor has a better implementation, and is the one I go to for my research (usually). They both seem to have slight differences in the files, which I don't understand, since they're from microfiche copies of the reports, and while some are out of sequence (pages stuck to each other or whatever) from the scanning process, I don't understand how the one vendor is missing two pages in theirs, while the other isn't... ?? Oh well. The HNSA version is much easier to use.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote